Textile Tantrums

I am obsessed with fibres, thread, cloth, paint and all things textiles! Unfortunately I am also a procrastinator extraodinarire who spends more time reading, surfing the net and admiring the materials than creating! I struggle to translate my ideas into textiles - hence the tantrums!

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Creativity Course and Dyeing Fabric

Went along to my monthly class at the Bramble Patch with Brenda Boardman (http://www.brenboardman.com/) on Saturday and had a really relaxing day. Work has been very stressful at the moment and will continue to be for the next month at least. I ddin't really feel like getting my stuff together and driving to Northampton but I'm really glad I did - good company and lots of fun!
I thought I wouldn't get anything done - just a chance to unwind and soak up the atmosphere but I managed to get all my fabric in dye and then washed it all out on the Sunday. I've found that Vince is actually very well behaved when you are busy doing things - it is when you are sitting down that he doesn't like it!!
Here's a shot of the fabrics I dyed - colours based on the shells from the Zoology museum. Hoping to make a very simple, contemporary quilted hanging in these colours (fuschia / red, black and more of a cream than yellow - this fabric may be too dark). Thinking of using some simple strip piecing and machine quilting with some simple hand stitching added.

Fabrics include silk velvet, cotton and cotton sateen.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Shell Sketchbook

Well I missed last month's 'Creative Potential' class as we picked Vince up the day before and I was too exhausted to drive there. Really disappointing as the topic was sketchbooks which I love! I am always looking for new ideas / kick starts to help me fill a sketchbook. After speaking to Kaye(http://marmitesmuddlings.blogspot.com/) and Sarah (http://sarahquilter.blogspot.com/) and getting some more info off of Brenda I made a start on my sketchbook on the theme of shells.

Original inspiration came from these beauties seen at the Zoology museum in Cambridge

and the humble mussell shell on Newquay beach...

Paper printed with roller, oil pastel lines and then painted twice with black Koh-I-Noor dye. Acrylic paint was stamped over this using a foam spiral stamp from a DIY shop. Black pen was used to outline the spirals and glitter gelly roll pen was also used. I've ripped this piece in half and am hand stitching on top of it.

This page was monoprinted then marks were made with oil pastels and black Koh-I-Noor washed over the top. This is one of my favourite pieces and I'd like to print it on fabric / tissue and stitch into it.

Another monoprint with oil pastel and Koh-I-Noor washed over the top (2 layers). I've then added some black outlines

More pages to come later in the week....

Monday, July 09, 2007

Puppy Update & More Medieval Madness!

Here's our little baby Vince! He's been with us just over 2 weeks now and turned our lives upside down! I had no idea that having a puppy was such hard work! I have gone back to work today after spending 2 weeks with him. He has settled in really well (it took longer for me to adjust!) and is happily roaming around his new territory. Had his 2nd injection today and will be able to go for walks / puppy classes next week, though he needs to overcome his fear of 'the lead' first. He hates having it put on and when you hold it he has a hissy fit!!

Here's Vince relaxing on his first night with us - it's a hard life being a pupsie!

Onto textile stuff now....

I have read Traci Bautista's fantastic 'Collage Unleashed' book and watched her DVD Retro Rags. I can THOROUGHLY recommend them and they have really inspired and kick started my sketchbook. I took one of her techniques and applied it to fabric rather than paper. Basically you put a layer of gesso down and then scratch / print into it (I used my medieval cathedral lino blocks). I then painted over this with metallic acrylics / fabric paints (a mixture of lumiere and Setacolour). I have started to highlight the motifs with stitching and may add some sheer fabrics / paper to the surface. i also plan to rub markal and gold leaf / foil over it. This would make a good technique for a hanging or book cover - quite sturdy.

BTW the fabric is cotton drill or something from Dunelm - really cheap! I found that when I stamped on the gesso it went through to the paper underneath so I plan to paint that with gesso / inks and get 2 for the price of 1!!!!