Textile Tantrums

I am obsessed with fibres, thread, cloth, paint and all things textiles! Unfortunately I am also a procrastinator extraodinarire who spends more time reading, surfing the net and admiring the materials than creating! I struggle to translate my ideas into textiles - hence the tantrums!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Shell Sketchbook

Well I missed last month's 'Creative Potential' class as we picked Vince up the day before and I was too exhausted to drive there. Really disappointing as the topic was sketchbooks which I love! I am always looking for new ideas / kick starts to help me fill a sketchbook. After speaking to Kaye(http://marmitesmuddlings.blogspot.com/) and Sarah (http://sarahquilter.blogspot.com/) and getting some more info off of Brenda I made a start on my sketchbook on the theme of shells.

Original inspiration came from these beauties seen at the Zoology museum in Cambridge






and the humble mussell shell on Newquay beach...


Paper printed with roller, oil pastel lines and then painted twice with black Koh-I-Noor dye. Acrylic paint was stamped over this using a foam spiral stamp from a DIY shop. Black pen was used to outline the spirals and glitter gelly roll pen was also used. I've ripped this piece in half and am hand stitching on top of it.

This page was monoprinted then marks were made with oil pastels and black Koh-I-Noor washed over the top. This is one of my favourite pieces and I'd like to print it on fabric / tissue and stitch into it.

Another monoprint with oil pastel and Koh-I-Noor washed over the top (2 layers). I've then added some black outlines

More pages to come later in the week....

4 Comments:

  • At 3:02 AM, Blogger Carol said…

    love the shells Leanne. Great source material. The monoprints are lovely too.

     
  • At 2:34 AM, Blogger artmixter said…

    Nice work, Leanne. Koh-i-noor dye I've never heard of, clearly need to Do Some Research

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger JB said…

    I just discovered your blog. What gorgeous paper!! I am impressed!!

     
  • At 1:00 AM, Blogger Digitalgran said…

    I love your beauties Leanne, but there is still something special in the mussel shells isn't there? I've just bought some Koh-i-Noor, but not tried it yet. Your papers inspire me to try it today!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home