Textile Tantrums

I am obsessed with fibres, thread, cloth, paint and all things textiles! Unfortunately I am also a procrastinator extraodinarire who spends more time reading, surfing the net and admiring the materials than creating! I struggle to translate my ideas into textiles - hence the tantrums!

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Personal Library of Stitches - week 2


Managed to get week one's sampler finished on the day that week 2's instructions were released! Lots and lots to explore in week 2 so I made a quick start this time and completed one sampler last night (these postcard sized pieces are great!)

I started off with fly stitch, the top row is 2 fly stitches on top of each other in variegated stranded cotton with a bead in the middle.

Below that I started making patterns with the fly stitch using thick silk thread, stranded cotton, perle and rayon. There are some bullions in there and beads.

Then I looked at tying the fly stitch down in different ways - bugle beads, bullion knots, french knots, seed beads. Like the little pattern at the end - think I could use this as I like geometric patterns.

I made a cross design using fly stitch and added moss stitch in the gaps. I'd never tried moss stitch before and really liked it so moved onto that. I was really pleased with the little grid of moss stitch on the right hand side - I use silk thread and perle.

I moved on to try moss stitch in stranded cotton and then to do 2 knots going vertically and horizontally - think this would look good with a bead added on top but ran out of space (and my fingers were sore!!!)

Lastly I went back to the fly stitch that I had started with but made this a continuous row - like this a lot!

Well this is only the beginning of week 2's exercises and I am back to work next week, but I would like to try out the woven wheels using various stitches and beads, washers etc.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great idea for collecting your samplers on a ring for easy referral. And interesting experiments you've done with the stitches. What is the fabric you are stitching on?

    JoWynn

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger Leanne Hurren said…

    Thanks JoWynn. The fabric is cotton lawn that I have dyed with procion. It would all be a lot neater if I used linen or counted fabric as the tutor suggested but I don't like the counting!

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Blogger Digitalgran said…

    i'm now on the Beta Blogger and am having problems commenting. i have already written one comment for you, but lost it. I love your combination of stitches.

     
  • At 12:06 AM, Blogger Grangry said…

    Nice combinations of stitches and threads!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home