Textile Tantrums

I am obsessed with fibres, thread, cloth, paint and all things textiles! Unfortunately I am also a procrastinator extraodinarire who spends more time reading, surfing the net and admiring the materials than creating! I struggle to translate my ideas into textiles - hence the tantrums!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Online Class - Personal Library of Stitches

I have just started an online class at Joggles called Personal Library of Stitches. It is taught by Sharon B of 'In a minute ago' bloc. I have just finished my sampler for the first week (see below). This lesson was 45 pages long! I spent the first night just reading it! I have decided to work on postcard sized pieces. I am going to punch a hole and put an eyelet in the corner and then thread these on a ring so that I can flip through them easily in the future.
The top four bands are all variations of guilloche stitch which I had never heard of before. Great fun doing this, adding beads and thicker threads.
These are followed by Portuguese stitch which I couldn't really get the hang of. Not sure why I must have read the instructions wrong but it doesn't seem to lie correctly.

Bottom band is using zig zag chain stitch for couching with some french knots added - I like this.

This has taken me a whole evening to do so I'm glad I didn't go for a bigger sampler. The evening has flown by. Plenty more suggestions in the printout to try but not enough time. I'm going to move onto lesson 2 now and come back to this later.

Not sure about the colours I chose. Planned to go with pink and green which I love but the lime cotton is very vivid!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home