Textile Tantrums

I am obsessed with fibres, thread, cloth, paint and all things textiles! Unfortunately I am also a procrastinator extraodinarire who spends more time reading, surfing the net and admiring the materials than creating! I struggle to translate my ideas into textiles - hence the tantrums!

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Lutrador aerial map!



Final sample (this post has been uploaded backwards - I still can't get the pictures where I want them!)

This piece of lutrador had something called 'perfect paper' spread on it first. Perfect paper is a medium that looks like handmade paper - it's amazing! you can spread it out smoothly on plastic and then peel your piece of 'paper' off!

Anyway, I laid this piece on some felt and machine stitched contour lines around the paste. This was then painted with dynaflow which gives this lovely contoured geographic effect. I am going to do further machining to try and distort the felt, might add some hand stitching.

Next I want to try sandwiching a piece of fine finger knitting between 2 sheets of lutrador and some bondaweb. Paint, stitch and heat back. These are just some of Jackie's ideas (I have to stress that all the creativity stems from her!). i can really recommend a workshop with her. The handout explained all the samples with extra ideas to try.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your samples look so much nicer than mine. Hope to play further with my stuff tomorrow. See you next week.Pam

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger Leanne Hurren said…

    I don't believe that for one minute Pam - you always create lovely sampleswhen I've been in a workshop with you. I don't know when I'll get a chance to play with these more - I am behind on my online class!

     
  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Digitalgran said…

    Your work with Lutrador is outstanding Leanne. I have never seen 'Lutrador' I must remedy this soon and order some.
    Mags

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Deb Hardman said…

    I've got the Lutradur, I ordered a big hunk from Mister Art in line. I've never heard of 'Perfect Paper' though. It sounds very interesting. I might have to look for some & play with it! I love new toys!

    Your samples are very fun! Too bad we can't see them in person. Textiles are always better in hand than on the computer screen.

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger Helen said…

    Hi Leanne, thanks for your lovely comments. It's good to find your blog and see what you're up to. Great that you're getting some expert play time with those tutors and how lovely to meat the names behind the books in person. Like your ariel photo's piece. It's something i've been working on too - such amazing images from google earth. Spent a few happy evenings taking a look at the ariel images of areas my web visitors come from... lots of inspiration there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home