Textile Tantrums

I am obsessed with fibres, thread, cloth, paint and all things textiles! Unfortunately I am also a procrastinator extraodinarire who spends more time reading, surfing the net and admiring the materials than creating! I struggle to translate my ideas into textiles - hence the tantrums!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Quilted vessel

I want to join the art quilters blog ring so 2 of my 5 posts must be about quilting, so I thought I'd mention how I made my 3D vessel. As the segments are made of 5 layers, techniquely it is a quilt!

Each piece was made and stitched separately and then joined together at the end. In the middle of each 'segment' is pelmet vilene which helps it keep its shape but also allowed me to bend the shapes into curves. On either side of the pelmet vilene there are 2 layers of fabric. One is a dark brown/orange taffeta and the outer layer is hand dyed cotton. I have used reverse applique and lots and lots of machine stitching. It became rather like a production line, sewing multiple segments in the same pattern. This was one of the only C&G pieces that I was actually pleased with!

1 Comments:

  • At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It looks fantastic !

     

Post a Comment

<< Home