Textile Tantrums

I am obsessed with fibres, thread, cloth, paint and all things textiles! Unfortunately I am also a procrastinator extraodinarire who spends more time reading, surfing the net and admiring the materials than creating! I struggle to translate my ideas into textiles - hence the tantrums!

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Embellished Quilting with Laura Kemshall

My local Embroiderer's Guild had the fantastic Laura Kemshall along to give a lecture and dayschool on embellished quilting (as mentioned on Sandy's blog http://smarcoux.blogspot.com). It was a fantastic day and Laura shared lots of tips with us. My aim now for the future is to be able to afford one of her quilts - prefarably a poppy one! Anyway, this was my first real attempt at free machine quilting, and boy is it hard! I decided to be difficult and go for Laura's angular stippling rather than the vermicelli that I have done on my embroidery course. I also picked a thread that stood out rather than blended with the background - probably not the best idea for a beginner. I really enjoyed it though and it's amazing how much you get done and how time flies on a dayschool.

I am going to post a picture of my sampler (if I can get it to upload - I hate dial up!). I need to add some more yellow stitching as that one area pings out a bit at the moment. Laura said that she was glad someone had used 'dangerous colour'! That's me - I love bright, acid colours and my favourite combination is lime green and hot pink. Yum

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home